Goals




What is my goal? I mean, I have different ones every day. In this writing challenge, my goal is to write for the prescribed minutes per day. But why? My brain is not built of a clock and neither are my fingers. Is there something to be gained by following a challenge? To be sure, there is. The satisfaction of saying that I completed it is a significant one for me; or, it used to be. At this point, I would rather live peacefully and do what does teach me something or help me progress in some way. To be able to do that though, to be taught, or to observe progress, do I need to have a goal? Is an abstract idea like “be good to myself” a goal? If so, then on some days that goal will be filled by writing and on some days, it will be filled by resting and reading.

We always have multiple goals. I have been lucky to be close to several athletes and to see their goals change as they reach new heights in their careers. Having a goal defined does allow you to see where you are going and to move toward something. I wonder how many minor achievements might be missed because they were not a part of the goal. For instance, one of the skills I am learning right now is to paint well in oil. This is new to me and I am loving the journey. As my skills build there, I am also getting better at application of colour in other areas like icing on cakes. If my goal were to paint a realistic portrait then I would miss being able to celebrate the advancement of my talents and the joy that I find in other areas as well.

My goal is to love myself deeply. No qualifiers or superlatives on that. I am not in competition with anyone. I have found time and time again that as soon as you are able to recognize an attribute that you want as a part of you, that characteristic has already found root in you and is growing. We will likely always say things like “I wish I was...” A valuable part of learning self love is to realize that you do have all that you wish to be within you already. One of my long time favourite quotes says “All education is really remembering.” I connect deeply with this idea and the understanding that you are already the best version of yourself. That your most valuable skill to learn is knowing that pure essence exists in you. Remember that and what you already know. What is it okay for you to unlearn?

I don't know who is reading this and I certainly don't know the details of your day or your life. I do absolutely know for a fact that you are already enough and that I would love to know you more. I hope that you are able to connect with someone who wants to know and see the depth of you along with you.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time in a Bottle

Professional Help